On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Sam Siegel wrote:

> My thinking is that because of the lack of availability of low cost
> zSeries HW and z/OS very few independant developers will directly any
> application/utility development towards z/OS.

I agree, it is hard for me to see how availability of entry level z/OS
options would be bad for IBM.

They might have problem with people running it on Hercules, okay. But I
think it would be possible to put a mainframe online and give hobbysts a
way to learn on it for free (with registration, maybe involving sending
passwords via snail mail etc). IBM is not poor, I suppose, so even top
notch machine would be a scratch in their budget.

Showing hundreds of people doing something useful on a behemoth, this
would be nice tour de force as well as free marketing.

Perhaps they have plans for the future without z/OS?

Otherwise, I cannot imagine they don't plan at all.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **