In <pine.lnx.4.64.1202022034530.30...@tau.ceti.pl>, on 02/02/2012
   at 10:45 PM, Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.com.pl> said:

>Every time I learn something about MVS or z, I don't do
>something else.

I didn't mean that learning about MVS was a lot of work, but rather
that enhancing a large program like gcc was a lot of work. Learning
the MVS side of things is just the beginning.

>So far, I can explain with some confidence what HLASM abbreviation
>stands  for (not sure about "M", still working on it).

High Level ASseMbler.

>CFT - is it cross file transfer?

Copious Free time. Of course, at one time I would have read CFT as
Cray ForTran ;-)

It's not specific to z or even IBM, but if you google for "jargon
file" you will find expansions of a lot of the alphabet soup used on
the Internet.