From: Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.com.pl>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 4:45:30 PM
Subject: Re: gcc on z/OS (was: CPP (C++) file on z/OS)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, McKown, John wrote:

> FWIW, "gcc" stands for GNU Compiler Collection. It is owned
> (copyrighted) by the Free Software Foundation. It is licensed under the
> GPL and the source code is freely available. There is a port for the z
> series, but hosted on z/Linux, not z/OS and produces z/Linux ELF
> binaries. I wonder if it would be possible to take the z/Linux port of
> GCC and modify it to be LE compatible and produce GOFF output?
>
> --
> John McKown
> Systems Engineer IV
> IT

Yeah, I started to wonder myself, so I downloaded source of gcc-4.6.2,
unpacked and started to poke around, semi randomly. So far, I can be sure
only about the size of unpacked source, it is above 600 megabytes. I tried
to decrypt abbreviations used above in your message (LE and GOFF), and
read those docs:

http://www.tachyonsoft.com/s8131db.pdf

http://www.tachyonsoft.com/s8139db.pdf

In the first one, pp.27 and next, they probably answer your question. In
short, gcc for z/Linux produces assembler files that are later munched by
gas, Gnu assembler. So, my current understanding of this stuff is that
yes, it is possible to create HLASM-compatible file from the
gas-compatible one. So I guess, gcc can stop after producing gas files and
another program can take it after that point. Guys from Tachyon claim
HLASM and gas to be similar.  This doesn't solve all the problems, more
like good start of bigger effort.

Another solution would be allowing ELF on z/OS. This one doesn't seem to
solve all problems either.

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> In <pine.lnx.4.64.1202010124290.1...@tau.ceti.pl>, on 02/01/2012
>    at 01:44 AM, Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.com.pl> said:
>
> >On the other hand, I know of no real reason that would prevent
> >anybody with knowledge of z/OS internals
>
> You don't need knowledge of z/OS internals. However, it's a lot of
> work.

I see. Time, unfortunately, is a bit scarce resource on my side. Every
time I learn something about MVS or z, I don't do something else. So my
current goal is to learn in a time-sharing fashion, hoping that some
time from now I will accumulate enough knowledge to do something
interesting (say, with MVS380) during allocated time slot (say, leisure).

Unfortunately, I no longer find games interesting enough to make me
satisfied with my leisure. So life got more complicated.

So far, I can explain with some confidence what HLASM abbreviation stands
for (not sure about "M", still working on it). That's not much but I don't
give up.

> >So this may be a good starting point, if somebody here has enough
> >know-how.
>
> And CFT.

CFT - is it cross file transfer?

Regards,