In a recent note, Jay Maynard said:

> Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:04:49 -0600
>
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:42:33AM -0600, Bill Godfrey wrote:
> > I don't know of any supported "terse" programs for the PC.
>
> Is the terse algorithm documented anywhere?

It's more than a mere algorithm in the conventional sense.  TERSE
also bundles sufficient metadata to reconstruct a CKD data set or
a PDS(E?) when it's un-TERSEd.  (Does it do VSAM, too?  Ironically
it doesn't do HFS; not even for its archive files, which are flat.)
Anyone hoping to offload his TERSE operations to a desktop system
must have a scheme for transferring those metadata (as basic as
block boundaries) between the mainframe and the desktop system.

Another point:  For the variety of uses to which IBM puts TERSE
(e.g. uploading problem substantiation to "testcase"; binary
files on service.software.ibm.com) it's irresponsible not to
make TERSE a supported base OS component.

And HFS support is needed.  I once had a problem with Binder's
handling of HFS files.  Binder support requested substantiation,
TERSEd,  I tar'red the directory; TERSEd the tar archive and
uploaded it to "testcase".  They dealt with it; I wonder how
many experts they needed to bring in.

(Is "metadata" plural?  Is "metadatum" the singular?)

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL