On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:50:23AM -0700, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> In a recent note, Jay Maynard said:
> > Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:04:49 -0600
> > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:42:33AM -0600, Bill Godfrey wrote:
> > > I don't know of any supported "terse" programs for the PC.
> > Is the terse algorithm documented anywhere?
> It's more than a mere algorithm in the conventional sense.  TERSE
> also bundles sufficient metadata to reconstruct a CKD data set or
> a PDS(E?) when it's un-TERSEd.

Sounds like a reinvention of XMIT with compression added.

> Anyone hoping to offload his TERSE operations to a desktop system
> must have a scheme for transferring those metadata (as basic as
> block boundaries) between the mainframe and the desktop system.

This is a problem we already know how to solve, though; see XMIT Manager, as
an example.

> Another point:  For the variety of uses to which IBM puts TERSE
> (e.g. uploading problem substantiation to "testcase"; binary
> files on service.software.ibm.com) it's irresponsible not to
> make TERSE a supported base OS component.

I agree. Fortunately, sucking tools like that into the base OS is something
IBM will do if it's useful enough. (Health Checker, for example.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC                http://www.conmicro.cx
http://www.hercules-390.org      http://www.tronguy.net