 From: "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: Authorized functions

TSO is archaic and was, IMO, not "well designed". Well, it possibly was back in
MVT days. But it has not advanced with the times along with the rest of z/OS.

And it depends on why you want to use TSO in a batch program. I would guess it
is just so that you don't have to re-invent the wheel. Depending on what you
want to do, you could possible use BPXWUNIX to invoke a UNIX REXX program which
did an ADDRESS TSO to run the APF authorized TSO command. This will work. I do
it myself at times.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 . N. Richland Hills . TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone .
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com . www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM