My experience as a SYSPROG was a while back at a smallish insurance company in
Vancouver. IIRC, this was a mid-size ES9000 running OS/390, CICS/ESA, and DB2.
I think we had TCP/IP networking via Token-Ring attachment to a 3174
controller.  I know we all ran DOS PC's running some 3270 emulator.

The systems department consisted of five guys:
(1) One guy who specialized in the OS.
(2) Myself who did the DB2 systems programming and DBA work.  I also helped
with CICS.
(3) Another who did mostly CICS.
(4) A team lead who did a little of everything, but mostly took care of the
network and storage management.
(5) A junior guy would supported all the third party software.

And there was a manager who also had responsibility for the small app support
team.

I would consider this about the bare minimum for any z/OS shop.  Consider too
that our users were mostly 9 to 5 weekdays people.  So we did not need extra
bodies to support 24x7 operations.  During the summer we were a bit stretched,
sometimes with 2 people absent on vacation.  But four of the five were pretty
senior and could cover other areas in a pinch.

John