I'm not really an expert on this topic. We're an IMS shop, but all the IMS topics are hidden behind a site specific application framework, so that most of IMS is not visible to the applications. In my earlier life, I worked at a company, which used
CICS on VSE. So my impression is:

- CICS is faster, easier to handle, all transactions in one address space, has lots of features like transient data queues and temp store queues that are maybe missing
in IMS, but

- CICS programs need to be reentrant, no static storage allowed - because different transactions used in the same address space share the same copy of the load module. This may be no problem any more with modern LE compilers and WSA (writable static and RENT option, although for example with PL/1 IBM recommends not to use it. We don't use it and tell our developers to make the modules "naturally" reentrant - although
IMS doesn't require it)

- IMS doesn't require the modules to be reentrant, because every transaction has it's
own region.

- even VSAM files for examples are opened by CICS (once per address space)
and are used not by normal file operations (OPEN FILE(x) in PL/1, for example), but through EXEC CICS commands. This is different for IMS, AFAIK - normal file
operations there.

- as a consequence: one misbehaving module in CICS can crash the whole
CICS address space (at least I think so). With IMS, individual regions can be recovered
and restarted.

But I may be wrong on some details.

Kind regards

Bernd