David,

I'm glad you replied as I thought the single extent limitation did not sound
quite right. I'm pretty sure DFSORT also has its own B37 recovery for the
SORTWK as well, which would argue against a single extent limitation.

One behavior I have observed in the past is that DFSORT will only use one
SORTWK on every volume when multiple datasets are allocated. So if you
specify 30 SORTWK datasets through DYNALLOC or JCL, but there are only 10
eligible volumes only one of the SORTWK on each volume will be used even
though ten have been allocated.

It's been a while since I looked at this, but am I having a senior moment,
and if I'm not are these additional datasets available for B37 recovery or
as additional SORTWK space?

I'm also wondering if the OPs original problem may have been caused by the
installation option DYNAUTO=IGNWKDD.

Ron