From:   David Betten <bet...@us.ibm.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   05/06/2012 02:53 PM
Subject:        Re: Confused on DFSORT SORTWK
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

DFSORT should be allocating as large format.  Do you have VIO=YES as your
default.  That might be preventing DFSORT from allocating as large format.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSORT Development, Performance Lead
IBM Corporation
email:  bet...@us.ibm.com
DFSORT/MVSontheweb at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 05/06/2012
02:55:53 PM:

> From: Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com>
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu,
> Date: 05/06/2012 02:57 PM
> Subject: Re: Confused on DFSORT SORTWK
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> (Reconstructing thread from archive)
>
> I read the posts in this thread but deleted them because they were not
> immediately pertinent to our shop. Then last night I got woke up with a
> similar problem. The default DYNALLOC setting of 3 was insufficient to
> complete a sort involving an unusually large input. We got
>
> ICE083A D RESOURCES WERE UNAVAILABLE FOR DYNAMIC ALLOCATION OF WORK DATA
> SETS (064K)  <---------
> ICE753I FWK=(0,0) SWK=(0,0) TWK=(0,0) RWK=(0,0) TOTAL=(0,0) BLK=56600
> ICE248I ATTEMPTED TO ALLOCATE 19389MB OF DISK WORK SPACE ON 3 WORK DATA
> SETS
> ICE249I SUCCESSFULLY ALLOCATED 0MB OF DISK WORK SPACE ON 0 WORK DATA
SETS

> (Last line is probably the world's most disappointing 'success' message
> ever.) In researching the problem, I read that DFSORT for some time has
> been capable of using large or extended format data sets so that the 64K
> limit flagged in ICE083A does not apply. What is required to induce
DFSORT