(Reconstructing thread from archive)

I read the posts in this thread but deleted them because they were not
immediately pertinent to our shop. Then last night I got woke up with a
similar problem. The default DYNALLOC setting of 3 was insufficient to
complete a sort involving an unusually large input. We got

ICE083A D RESOURCES WERE UNAVAILABLE FOR DYNAMIC ALLOCATION OF WORK DATA
SETS (064K)  <---------
ICE753I FWK=(0,0) SWK=(0,0) TWK=(0,0) RWK=(0,0) TOTAL=(0,0) BLK=56600
ICE248I ATTEMPTED TO ALLOCATE 19389MB OF DISK WORK SPACE ON 3 WORK DATA
SETS
ICE249I SUCCESSFULLY ALLOCATED 0MB OF DISK WORK SPACE ON 0 WORK DATA SETS

(Last line is probably the world's most disappointing 'success' message
ever.) In researching the problem, I read that DFSORT for some time has
been capable of using large or extended format data sets so that the 64K
limit flagged in ICE083A does not apply. What is required to induce DFSORT
to use modern work data sets for dynamic allocation?

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

Just to clarify, DFSORT can cetrainly use more than the 1st extent, it
just
can't use multiple volumes.  As long as DSNTYPE=LARGE is coded on the DD
statement, each of the SORTWK DDs should be able to use multiple extents.
Since a 3390-9 has a capacity of 10,017 cylinders, you should be able to
get 3 extents of 3335 cylinders on each work data set if the volumes are
empty.