We have some experience here regarding developing portable
C applications targetting z/OS mainframes (which should be little or
no difference to z/VM and z/Linux) and Solaris on Sparc.

Our experience is: the Sparc hardware is more critical than the z hardware,
for example, a pointer to int or long that contains an address that is not properly aligned leads to abends on Sparc (like at the days of S/360), but of course not at z/Arch. So if your C programs do some casts of - for example - char pointers
to int or long pointers, your application will fail on Sparc.

That said, the migration from Sparc to z/Arch should be less problematic.

Another source of problems might be the different character set; the Sparc
machine uses ASCII. But the endianness of the integers is the same (big endian).

Kind regards

Bernd