On Jan 13, 2006, at 8:48 AM, Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM wrote:

"R.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
Peter Relson wrote:

Anyone found a way round the limit of 8 concurrent TSO users when
running under z/OS.e.

I am surprised to see this in a public forum because my recollection is
that if you do get "round the limit" it would violate the terms and
conditions under which z/OS.e is being used. The way "round the limit" is
to purchase z/OS not z/OS.e.

I'm not a lawyer, but I see differences between breaking the rules and
circumventing them.
They have a problem with limit of 8 concurrent TSO connections. They
don't want to zip some loadmodules to raise the limit to 100. They looks > for the software which provide equivalent or similar functionality.
What's wrong with that ?

--
Radoslaw Skorupka

I don't read it this way, the phrasing of the question tends to how to get more than 8 TSO users. With what else than TSO can you have TSO users? The sentence is slightly similar to questions in "alt." newsgroups, asking for a "crack to break the limitation of ...". If the question was not intended this way, it was at least eligible for more than one interpretation, as read by me, Peter and others.

I am pleased to read that all the responders diverted their answers into the only correct way, to find legal functional equivalents.

Kees.

Kees (and others)

I understand the reasoning behind IBM's 8 TSO uer limit. I am just afraid that it will let the OEM vendors a foot in the door so to speak. This may come back to hurt IBM in the long run. I fought off the OEM in a VS1 to MVS conversion 20 years ago. I am sure there are other companies (like the one I used to work for) trying to wring every last penny out of the software/hardware. Fast forward a few years (10 or so) I had a company that was cheap to the nth degree. They clearly had software that was "stolen" (not licensed). Management couldn't care less. I know that at least at one time there was/is the software police that looked for any copies of illegal software. I also know of a company that paid for two copies of MVS and ran 4 copies. IBM turned their head the other way. Would IBM do so in the future? Only IBM knows for sure. I would not want to be around when they want to make you an example.

Ed