Well, hmmm.  I've seen this done in several places, with varying degrees
of success.

Where it's worked well have been shops that had well-defined software
maintenance strategies (see Parallel Sysplex ? Software Management for
Availability, SG24-5451), as well as good inter-group communications.

There are sometimes benefits to "distributing" software maintenance as you
describe. It's possible that the "administrative group" will be closer to
the customers of your third-party product, more responsive to their needs,
better equipped to answer questions, solve problems, etc.  However, such
delegation is usually cost-effective only when there is a clear
competitive business advantage to doing so.  Is (use of) this product
critical to your company's business? Does the administrative group have
the political power to affect software maintenance budgets?  If not, then
this won't work.

On the other side, such a systems has clear drawbacks. One is
communication (or lack of it).  Will the administrative group have a
representative that attends regular systems programming meetings?  Will
they be following your standards?  Will they be making production changes
in the same, documented, organized way that you do?  Same early
notification to those potentially affected?

Last, if the group takes responsibility for software maintenance then must
do so (politically anyway) independently from any group member. If I were
the manager of such a group, I'd certainly want a backup for the only one
in my group with the requisite experience.

Tony's note about children and power tools applies to adults as well; I've
known some "experienced" systems programmers that thought
BYPASS(HOLDERROR) was the fastest way to slam things in.

Good luck.

Lock Lyon
"YMMV. Advice offered freely and worth the price. Opinions are my own.
When in doubt, lead a diamond."

tony babonas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
03/06/2006 01:01 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: SMP/E for non-sysprogs?

Yep, we did it.

Pros:   none, other than management fantasy of lower salaried people
replacing higher salaried people. Cons:   Murphy's Law in every
imagineable form.

Children should not use power tools, only experienced adults.  You will
not have to wait for the "long run" for this to haunt you.

tb