In a previous role, the systems area happily shared
installation/maintenance responsbilities for a few products.

The sysprogs did the tape unload into the site standard data sets (which
might be an SMPE process) and then handed over to the next area.
This process was most frequently used for DB2 products.

Why ?
Sysprogs had relevant access to create the new system speedily.
Were owners of the "standards" doc ?
Had current SMPE knowledge.

Then handover to to the DBA's. Who had the relevant DB2
access/knowledge/expertise to the DB2 subsystems.

Basically, if the DBA's followed the rules then we were happy.
.......and they were nice people and followed the rules.

A further point - I found that even experienced sysprogs could get into
trouble with SMP/E. I figured in the long run I would save lots of my time
doing the donkey work for whoever and then handing over, rather than let
someone stuff their CSI's and have to sort it out for them.

Cheers Hank