Ron and Bruce,

Actual SnapShotting (is that a word?) of the 150 volumes takes seconds
to run.  The rest of the time is involved in running the cleanup jobs
(modifying system datasets, bringing volumes online/offline, IPLing the
test LPAR, etc.

Ron,

You said "Perhaps you're looking for the specific technology, rather
than how other ways, means and costs meet your process requirement.".

I would be interested in looking at other ways of being able to do this,
but unfortunately cost is slightly prohibitive.  The viewpoint I'm
looking at is that the RVA is bought and paid for, and I would need to
buy 3 TB of disk to replace it.  With "the mainframe is going away so
don't spend any money on it" mentality at my shop, I'm pretty much stuck
where I'm at.  That is unless somebody can convince me that for the
maintenance costs on my RVA I can get 3 TB of disk along with
near-instantaneous dataset and volume level replication software.  If
you can do that, I'm all ears!   :-)