Migrating to a new CF is different from recovering in a DR environment. In
migrating, you move structures from one CF to another in a controlled
fashion. Once all structures have been moved out, the CFRM couple data set
knows that the old CF is no longer in use. It can be left ready for
instant fallback or 'drained' and disconnected.

In DR recovery, a mirrored CFRM data set believes that structures are
still located in the toasted CF. I concede that things may have changed
considerably since 1998--we have a recovery procedure that works and
little motivation to experiment with changes--but IBM's recommendation
still seems to be: start fresh.

Incidentally, IBM has recommended also starting with a freshly formatted
sysplex (XCF) couple data set. We tried that but wearied of all the WTOR
replies for every *other* couple data set in use. We now mirror the
sysplex guy so that in DR, he knows the names of all the other data sets.
IPL is a lot smoother, and we have never seen a problem stemming from use
of the old sysplex guy.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 03/14/2006
05:12:40 AM:

<snip>
> I remember a lot of problems in case of a failing CF or migration to new
> CF(s) in the 90's. But, the functionality is much better now.
>
> Recently we moved a sysplex from 2084 to 2094 (four systems and two ICFs
on
> the same CEC). We did not use a freshly formatted CFRM couple dataset.
> Instead, before the upgrade we activated a new CFRM policy, the old
policy
> containing CFs CFOLD1 and CFOLD2 and the new policy containing CFs
CFOLD1