[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I would agree with Barbara on this. We run a mix of traditional work along with a Domino Change Management System with about 400 registered Users and WAS V4 in lightweight mode with about the same amount. Both applications can kill performance to our traditional workloads on our small 2 way. The WAS always sits at the top of the CPU usage monitor, again this is lightweight mode not full blown WAS, with the IDMS right behind it. The Domino application server task, at times, can dominate CPU as well. Since we have been in a holding pattern while the bean counters basically decide our eventual fate I have been trying to hold the line as the production WAS environment adds Users who then navigate up through our traditional environment into our CA/IDMS. It has been a very delicate balancing act to see that the Production Users get service while I *try* to get cycles to the developers on this LPAR, no we don't have a test LPAR. If I had my druthers I would attempt to run the Unix workloads on their own LPAR where possible to eliminate the performance anomalies to the traditional mainframe workloads. If not possible I would load the LPAR with zAAP's as necessary to defray the impact.

We recently also had a problem while running a batch job against a zFS which supports our Tech's Website and PDF files. The WAS in which the PDF's were connected to suddenly went haywire using significant CPU, operations then cancelled and eventually had to force the WAS, then zFS abended - all in all an ugly incident. While there is an open APAR that matches to some degree IBM asked us to try to recreate it as the WAS dump was not helpful. Please see OA15422 with APAR description: "LOOP IN USER CACHE, LOOKS LIKE A HANG IN ZFS"

And as Barbara said not to disparage Steve but we have had our share of problems with running the new workloads with the traditional ones. Of course you can also see my rants in the archives about my WAS experiences if this wasn't enough. I do like the new workloads as they keep me employed at this point but they just don't seem to play well with the traditional ones.

Patrick,

Help me learn more, here. I'm talking about hosting
a website on z/OS without WAS. It would seem that
would be even lighter weight, although I honestly
have no idea how it scales to commercial levels of
activity.

Anyone else have some experience doing this who would
share your observations?

I'm thinking: get 'em in cheap (and light) using HTTP
server; then, when needed, bring in WAS (and more hardware,
it sounds like).

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock