I would agree with Barbara on this. We run a mix of traditional work along
with a Domino Change Management System with about 400 registered Users and
WAS V4 in lightweight mode with about the same amount. Both applications
can kill performance to our traditional workloads on our small 2 way. The
WAS always sits at the top of the CPU usage monitor, again this is
lightweight mode not full blown WAS, with the IDMS right behind it. The
Domino application server task, at times, can dominate CPU as well.

Since we  have been in a holding pattern while the bean counters basically
decide our eventual fate I have been trying to hold the line as the
production WAS environment adds Users who then navigate up through our
traditional environment into our CA/IDMS. It has been a very delicate
balancing act to see that the Production Users get service while I *try*
to get cycles to the developers on this LPAR, no we don't have a test
LPAR. If I had my druthers I would attempt to run the Unix workloads on
their own LPAR where possible to eliminate the performance anomalies to
the traditional mainframe workloads. If not possible I would load the LPAR
with zAAP's as necessary to defray the impact.

We recently also had a problem while running a batch job against a zFS
which supports our Tech's Website and PDF files. The WAS in which the
PDF's were connected to suddenly went haywire using significant CPU,
operations then cancelled and eventually had to force the WAS, then zFS
abended - all in all an ugly incident. While there is an open APAR that
matches to some degree IBM asked us to try to recreate it as the WAS dump
was not helpful. Please see OA15422 with APAR description: "LOOP IN USER
CACHE, LOOKS LIKE A HANG IN ZFS"

And as Barbara said not to disparage Steve but we have had our share of
problems with running the new workloads with the traditional ones. Of
course you can also see my rants in the archives about my WAS experiences
if this wasn't enough. I do like the new workloads as they keep me
employed at this point but they just don't seem to play well with the
traditional ones.

Barbara Nitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
03/28/2006 12:53 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Bringing the fun back to z/OS - new course

Steve's post prompts me to relate our MVS Unix/Linux experience - this is
in
no way meant to disparage Steve's efforts for courses...

>Now, the ability to run UNIX on the mainframe melds a lot of strengths:
>flexibility (run classic mainframe apps and UNIX apps on the same box),

You'd better not. We are running a clustered Lotus Domino Server on our
boxes and have to run several unix apps (ADSM - whatever that's called
these
days, WBIFN - gateway to the SWIFT net and Websphere Application Server).
We
found out very fast that these beasties tend to take over more than their
share of processing power, so all of these UNIX apps quickly got their own
lpar where traditional workload did not have to compete with these cpu
hogs.

>scalability, reduced footprint,

reduced footprint?!?
Even confined to their own lpars, the Dominoes take everything in terms of
assigned processors and lpar weight, to the detriment of other lpars. And
if
these Unix dominated lpars don't get what they want, they stop working
altogether.

We are in the process of moving the UNIX apps to Linux under VM, where
they
can use the other type of processors and save us a lot of software costs
(BMC is killing us, followed by CA.) Did I mention that we now run almost
as
many Linuxes as we run MVS lpars? Reduced foortprint?!?

>Utilize the legendary strengths of the mainframe

One of which was first failure data capture (and it worked, too, given the
right knowledge in looking at a dump). All of these UNIX apps have never
even heard the term first failure data capture, much less are familiar
with
the concept. With the exception of maybe one (stupid) user error on our
part, IBM has proved incapable time and again to look at dumps (even those
written by the product itself) and find a problem. Unless you can
reproduce
the problem, provided you have an inkling how, you get a lot of crap which
always involves restarting a high availability application.

And without a complaint on top a sev1/prio1 IBM doesn't even look at the
problem, much less solve it. Even with a complaint, all we get is what we
call in German 'holding hands' - meaning they commiserate with us but only
attempt to calm us thus infuriating us more.

I'd better stop here....

Regards, Barbara Nitz