On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:41:07 EST "(IBM Mainframe Discussion List)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>In a message dated 3/31/2006 5:28:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
:>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

:>>I am sympathetic to the original poster whose management allowed  their
:>>JES2 expertise to disappear.
:>Their management also decided/allowed years earlier for JES2 exits to be
:>written and be made part of production systems in the first place.  Exits
for
:>almost any software product by nature will be dependent on that product's
:>internals (sort exits and SMF exits quickly come to mind as exceptions).
:>Internals change a lot more frequently than externals.  I wonder if their
management
:>also required those JES2 exits to be thoroughly documented by their
:>developers "just in case" and what management required those exit developers
to do
:>during their last week of employment.

I wonder as to the reaction should CA change their exit API and charge their
customers the same fees to assess their exits.

Somehow I would think that many of those that justify IBM taking this action
would strongly object if an ISV acted the same way.

:>Why does this remind me of management's deciding to allow a one-byte  field
:>to store the year number in the 1960s and then being "surprised" when  Y2K
was
:>only a few months away?

They were much more surprised that the code was still in use 30 years later.

Are YOU planning for Y10K?

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com