The "seriously evaluating" phrase is key.  I would think the same
considerations would apply there as any any offshoring scenario, not forgetting
the whole "two countries separated by a common language" issue.  The technical
challenges would perhaps not be very big; the legal and political problems
could be greater, not to mention the potentially increased risks to data
security.

As is usually the case, the "It's never a good idea" and the "It's always a
good idea" camps both miss the mark.

Jon

<snip>
What if the target country were the USA?

I haven't checked current data, and it's too much of an effort - in this
instance - to get my
facts right.

But the last time I looked, IBM software (especially middleware like DB2) was
substantially
cheaper in the USA than it was in the UK.  Around CICS and DB2, we're talking a
third or so.

Given that we now have the sort of bandwidth that's giving me subsecond
response in Sheffield
from Redmond, I'd think any British bank that didn't seriously evaluate putting
its data
centre in Arizona would be nuts.
</snip>