Mark Zelden wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:28:52 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

R.S. wrote:

BTW: *WE*, the IBM-MAIN group are able to research the number of sites.
Some of us knows some numbers about own site and some neighbourhood.
As long we don't mention company names, we can share this data. Even
anonymously. Then one of us could aggregate and present the numbers.

I don't think so. IBM-Main participants represent only a fraction of the
mainframe community.

I've worked (since 1980) in the Chicago area at over 20 shops (many of which are now gone) as an employee or consulting and I'm still often finding out about small MVS shops I never heard of. I know "all the big ones" but not "all the ones".
I know there are some lists floating around and I'm pretty sure one of my
old consulting firms had a fairly complete one, but I would bet that
some of those firms and head hunters have more knowledge about where all the MVS shops are around here (and other large cities) than IBM-MAIN
followers.

The above is true, however our community common knowledge is "good enough", at least as first, rough estimation. You know bigger shops in Chicago area. Let's assume someone else complement your knowledge and you'll be able to provide information about Illinois. I can provide quite exact information about total MIPS in Poland, and "not bad" about total number of shops. Other people could do it for other states/coutries/regions. Obviously it won't be 100% accurate, probably white areas will remain on the map. However it is feasible to do it at "acceptable" level. Since it start, other companies would be even interested to complement information about them. Those uninterested are still protected, since no company data will be exposed - only fraction of total MIPS base and shops number. I don't know SHARE too much, but it could be a project under SHARE 'blessing'.

Just my $0.02

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland