From: "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 7/19/2006 11:58 AM
To: "IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU" <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Why is zSeries so CPU poor?

Except that a zAAP is not really a Java CPU. It is a regular CPU, with
some microcode changes to remove specific abilities. From what little I
can gather, it is actually the z/OS dispatcher, in conjunction with the
Java JVM, which restricts the zAAP from doing any non-Java "general
purpose" work.

It might be "interesting" to actually somehow have an Opteron, pSeries,
or Xeon processor in the zSeries frame with some sort of "interconnect"
so that the code on the zSeries could run those instruction. A terror to
program, I'd bet. But technically interesting (to me at least).

I would love to get a peek at one of those. I wonder how long it might
be for somebody to figure out what "magic" the JVM does to mark its work
a "zAAP capable" to the z/OS dispatcher so that non-Java work could run
on it. Of course, I would bet that doing this would be a violation of
the T&Cs for the processor. Also, I'll bet that there is some sneaky
code in z/OS to try to detect this. E.g. if the program does an SVC or
PC or ???, then an abend occurs instead of actually doing the function
desired. I know that I'd certainly put those checks in.

--
John McKown

I doubt that IBM could remove generally documented machine
instructions or system services. The JVM is allowed to call
JNI (Java Native Interface) routines, written in any language
(usually C), which are allowed by definition to use any
operating system services and any machine dependent features.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Farsight Systems Corporation
24 BURLINGTON DR
LONGMONT, CO 80501