<snip>

> I question the premise of this entire thread. System z CPU
> performance
> is not poor! It's state of the art technology!

<snip>

> --
> Edward E Jaffe

OK, then why is there such a perception that the zSeries is CPU
underpowered? It is because the other "servers" are, in reality, usually
"one trick ponies", doing only a single function whereas the zSeries is
usually doing literally 100s and even 1000s of functions concurrently?
E.g. on Windows, each IIS server is dedicated to a single application.
Each MS SQL database runs on its own dedicated server. And so on.

If it is the "one trick pony" that makes the Wintel (et al.) systems
look so good, I wonder how they will look when the "server
virtualization" really takes hold and a single physical Intel box is
"partitioned" into 10+ "servers", each running Windows 2003 Server. We
are starting on this road here. Our current CIO routinely disallows the
"buy a new server" mentality that our Windows-brethern have had around
here for the last 5+ years.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.