From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday July 19 2006 11:03
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Why is zSeries so CPU poor?

Again, not really. The Java source code is actually compiled to a binary
form which is called "Java Byte Code". This byte code is similar in nature
to a normal processor's instruction set.
I guess you could say that the JVM "inteprets" the byte code. But I think of
it more like the JVM includes a byte code emulator (like the old 1401
emulator). But, from what I can tell,the Java byte code doesn't match the
zSeries instruction set very well. So it is relatively inefficient.