In a recent note, Arthur T. said:

> Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:47:43 -0400
>
>       At an old shop without a security package, we used to
> name certain datasets with lowercase and/or embedded blanks
> in order to make it difficult for the average programmer to
> delete them.  (Security via obscurity.)

I'd call a programmer who doesn't understand quoting below
average.  But I have had sysadmins come to me complaining
that they couldn't scratch some of my expired data sets.  IMO,
they were using the wrong utility.

>       SPF 3.4 did okay with lower case, but stopped at the
> first blank.  That may be fixed, by now.

Not as of z/os 1.5.  Silly; they ought to use a cached
copy of the data set name rather than reading it back
from the screen.  Or protect the field containing it.
The message is incomprehensible until the programmer
understands ISPF was trying to interpret the trailing
part(s) of the data set name as command options.

--gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL