At 14:29 -0300 on 08/06/2006, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote about Re: WHY IS JCL ALLERGIC TO LOWER CASE?:

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/05/2006
   at 02:53 AM, john gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

When I was a boy in this business there was much speculation about a
routine, necessarily SVC-based in those days, that was to be called
IEHDEITY.

Close; it was a fake IBM product announcement for OS/VU, rather than
speculation, and the utility was not called IEHDIETY. As far as I
could tell the style was a perfect match to genuine announcements.

If I remember correctly, it was a perfect match since it was an official IBM issued gag announcement (dated April 1) similar to the April 1 dated Internet RFCs that are released by IETF each year (this year none were released for some reason) such as the infamous "Avian Transport Method" (Sending TCP/IP Packets by Carrier Pigeon). I say infamous since a few years ago, someone actually implemented it to time the transport times and reliability for its use.