-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: really stupid question - z/OS 1.6 and CSTOR > 2Gb
<snipage>
So if running with more than 2G central was a problem, almost no one
would have migrated to 640-bit.

</snipage>

I know this was a typo, but 640 bit hit me in such a way that I
remembered a goofy statement involving 640K -- no one will ever need
more than this.

Then I thought about 640 bit. That represents more bytes than there is
mass in the universe (leptons, Leprecons electrons, positrons, muons,
whatever). In other words, there ain't enough stuff in this universe to
build that C-Store, forget getting it close enough to a CPU to make is
usable.

But while on this subject, how soon will we be able to actually use the
64 bit space and then need to increase it? And where could we reasonably
go from there?

Later,
Steve Thompson