zSeries no longer seems to be considered a stragetic system as best as I
can tell. It is expensive. And it is too reliable. What I mean is that
people don't seem to care anymore if a server dies once a week, just
reboot it and recover whatever was "in flight". Having hardware that
won't fail in 5 years of continuous operation is "over engineered"
because such reliability is no longer considered important to the
business customers.

> I have a question.  I know this has been discussed in the past, but I
> haven't heard any updates lately.  Does the FlexEs product
> legally run z/OS
> in 64 bit addressing mode yet?  The last we discussed it on
> IBM-Main, if I
> remember correctly, you couldn't run 64 bit addressing mode,
> meaning z/OS
> 1.6 and above wouldn't run on it.

To the best of my knowledge, no. You cannot run commercial 64 bit on
FlexES. Likely ever.

> Why would IBM want to kill off their smallest customers?  It
> just doesn't
> make sense.  IBM is sure sending a lot of mixed signals!
> Phil Payne - where
> are you?

Well, pessimist that I am, I figure that current IBM management has a
mind set of "milk as much from the current zSeries customers as we can
and when they all get disgusted with us on zSeries, sell them some other
architecture system like a pSeries or iSeries". IOW, they seem to want
to kill zSeries. One nice way is their Linux on zSeries. Why? Because
they can get current zSeries z/OS, z/VM, and z/VSE customers converted
onto Linux on the zSeries. Then, when the zSeries is killed, they can
say that their Linux investment is OK because Linux will run on xSeries,
iSeries, pSeries.

OK, I'm likely wrong in the above. I'm just not very pleased with IBM
right now on this subject and am venting.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.