In a recent note, john gilmore said:

> Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:17:52 +0000
>
> Perlis's three-pronged formulation:
>
> A programming language provides mechanisms for

How do I shoehorn JCL into this?

> o identifying a data type or data types,

The data types I see are:

  - Data sets
  - The condition code
  - (I'll exclude the SET symbols for reasons below).

> o specifying operations on them, and

  - Utility programs such as IEBGENER, which perform operations
    on data sets and set the condition code.

> o speciifying a path or paths of control among these operations,

  - COND= and IF.
  - But these don't affect SET, the only operation on SET symbols,
    so I exclude them from the data types.

> has not been improved upon in, now, forty odd years; and it seems unlikely
> that it will be possible to replace it with a more perspicuous formulation
> anytime soon.

I see two important omissions here:

- If the path of control can not vary depending on values of the
  data types, it's an unacceptable weakness.
- Lack of a facility for iteration (or, equipotentially, recursion)
  impoverishes unacceptably the set of control paths.  Here JCL fails.

> On Perlis's formulation LISP is a programming language.

And COBOL readily is.  I'm confident also that a Turing machine
could be emulated in COBOL.  Surely no technical case for Google's
omission of COBOL has been made in this thread.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL