In a recent note, Dave Salt said:

> Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2006 02:50:30 +0000
>
> There was a discussion on the ISPF listserv just last week about how to
> remove leading spaces. For example, if the following were entered on a
> command line:
>
> ===> SORT     ADDRESS                            D
>
> The panel can easily parse the command into 3 separate values, but there is
> no easy way for it to remove the leading spaces from in front of the 'D'.
> The only way it can be done right now (using pure panel logic) is to keep
> chopping off one space at a time and checking what's left. As the number of
> leading spaces is unknown, and panels don't have looping logic, this means
> writing dozens and dozens of 'truncate/test' lines to ensure however many
> leading spaces were entered can all be removed. Very ugly, and easily solved
> if panels had looping logic.

I don't know the capabilities of ISPF computation.  Is it possible to
remove 64 leading spaces, then 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1; thus removing
up to 95 spaces in 7 truncate/tests rather than "dozens and dozens"?
I've done this with other editors.

Not to deny the value of iteration, but this appears to be a task
for regular expressions, SNOBOL4 patterns, even lowly Rexx parse.
I understand ISPF couples closely with Rexx; would a Rexx function
suffice to strip the blanks?

-- gil
--
StorageTek