From: Scott Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Rexx has a nice builtin function called 'strip' u can strip leading , trailing or
  both blanks.....

Extracted from the email below:

"The person who originally posted the question about parsing 'SORT ADDRESS
D' was under the constraint that he could only use pure panel logic; i.e.
he could not call a panel exit and he could not use imbedded REXX."

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

  >From: Alan Altmark
>Eh? Wouldn't it simply be better to give panels a way to reference the
>words in the input fields? Or provide a STRIP function?

As with any programming language, there are many ways panel logic could be
improved. A strip function would be great, as would a substring function, a
computational function, a sort function, the ability to imbed SQL, the
ability to play MP3 music , and so on and so forth. The point was not
'what would be the very best way to acheive result x', but 'would it have
been easier to acheive result x if panels had looping logic'.

The person who originally posted the question about parsing 'SORT ADDRESS
D' was under the constraint that he could only use pure panel logic; i.e.
he could not call a panel exit and he could not use imbedded REXX. So, given
that panels do not have a strip function and his options were limited,
looping logic would have been a very valuable alternative. When someone else
posed the question 'would looping be valuable in ISPF panel logic?', I used
this real life scenario that was posted on the ISPF listserv just last week
to demonstrate that clearly the answer is 'yes'.