I'm feeling under the weather today and our zSeries is pegged at 100%,
so I thought I'd ask a curiousity question here. I hope you don't mind.

I have never considered COBOL to be a language which would normally be
used to write a program which would cause high CPU utilization (as in
percentage). But I've noticed lately that many of our batch COBOL
programs can run our z890 (capacity 250) at over 20% CPU as shown by
SDSF. And I don't mean just a spike now and then, but for minutes at a
time. Does this seem weird to anybody else? I am afraid that it likely
means that the COBOL code is not written very well, but we don't have
anything like Strobe (which we "threw out" due to cost during the
previous management cycle), so I cannot be sure. Oh, and we won't likely
get anything to replace it because the programmers refuse to use it
anyway. They're too busy (and they are).

Well, since I can't do anything about it anyway, it is just a talking
point.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.