John P Baker writes:

My experience is that the assertion that reentrant programs ALWAYS perform
better than non-reentrant programs can not be justified.  There are simply
too many variables involved.

This is, at best, a straw man, constructed to facilitate dismemberment.

The textbook proposition

There are no black swans.

has an empirical defect: real blank swans have been found to exist.

More important, it is in logic a universal negative; and it can be proved that no instance of an universal negative can be proved.

The existence of some non-reentrant block of code that is faster than the corresponding reentrant one is no argument for writing non-reentrant code. In the light of the character of the defenses of doing so set out here after my post, I must, however, conclude that this issue is for some an emotional and not an intellectual one. So be it!

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721-1817
USA

Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip! http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline