-----------------------<snip>-------------------------
Stupid? Hardly. I've just observed that there's just a ... blind spot ... when it comes to licensing agreements. Perhaps it's because sysprogs aren't the people who see and must agree to the Ts&Cs contained therein?

In prehistoric times, when I was a customer, I just waited for the box of tapes & manuals to arrive. Paperwork? WDNNS paperwork.... "The new NCP is here! The new NCP is here! I'm somebody now! I'm somebody now!" (apologies to Steve Martin).

I wouldn't want to be the one who says "Let's do X!" only to end up blindsiding my boss because I didn't do my homework. You all are Family to me (I go to WAVV, SHARE, the zExpo, and regional user group), you are paying for my house (thanks, by the way), and I need for you to continue to succeed. So if I sometimes come across as bit paternal, please bear with me.
Alan, there's nothing wrong with being "paternal", as you put it. But sometimes the policies of IBM seem to be rather foolish. And that sometimes makes IBM's legal reps look equally foolish. As a Hercules user, I can't do the software development I'd like to, because MVS 3.8 doesn't have RACF installed; nor does it have the z/OS features that might make things so much more elegant, and efficient, for my efforts. Begging for z/System time from friends isn't really an option, because of the legal ramifications. And there's a bunch of us in the same boat! Being stuck on a barely-adequate pension, I'd like to augment my income with low-priced software that works well (maybe become another McKinney Systems? <G>) but IBM's policy about licensing z/OS to run under Hercules (NOT) effectively cuts me out. This after being a loyal IBM fan for nearly 40 years. (grumble)