One could also wonder why IBM bundling software and hardware got it slapped with a consent decree, and today Apple does this normally, and Microsoft does it with software (IE anyone?). Windows also can run on a bigger processor without additional license fees, z/OS does not. And let us not forget CA! I don't know about anyone else, but Microsoft also barely supports Windows (ever call for support?) IBM would be again hindered by the question of just what is causing the problem (finger pointing anyone?) Amdahl had to create an entire group of MVS trained SE's to support it. Is PSI? Or T-3?
I also do not have a good feeling about this.

Doug

snip>>>>>>>>>
ISTR there was a perception at that time that IBM could not legally refuse
to license its software on whatever machine the customer wanted to use.
("You could license it on a washing machine if you wanted to."). I guess
this was related to the anti-trust nonsense. I don't suppose IBM always
liked to admit quite how powerful Amdahl and Itel/NAS machines were, so PCM
customers probably got a fair deal. But if that was the case, when and why
did it change? I can license Windows XP on a Mac Pro, but I can't license
z/OS on anything but an IBM-approved machine!

Doug Fuerst
Consultant
BK Associates
Brooklyn, NY