In a recent note, Patrick O'Keefe said:

> Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:58:04 -0600
> >
> >I wonder how the Creator built them.
> >
> >I wonder what happens if they ever need service.
>
> I bet there's an interesting story there that will probably stay untold.
> Obviously, someone linked it once.  And SMP linked for me without problem.
> It's not SMP's fault that it didn't know that appropriate attributes
> since it wasn't given any.

A couple possibilities:

o the developer/packager didn't know how to code a link edit step.

o The build requires a prelinker.  SMP/E doesn't agree with
  prelinkers.

> If it ever needs service IBM will probably rebuild it in some mysterious
> way and then provide a replacement LMOD to be IEBCOPYed into the library.

Ugh.  How do you package a LMOD in a PTF?  Inline with GIMDTS?  (Doesn't
work.)  Better with FROMNETWORK, which is relfile-friendly, even in
PTFs.  (I know; it's theoretically possible to RELFILE-package a PTF,
but customers don't expect it.)

--gil
--
StorageTek