On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:49:21 +1000, Shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Walt, pulling John into line, wrote:
>>
>> > I know that, among other things, 'antipodes' is Britspeak
for 'Australia
>> > and New Zealand', and thus legitimately plural; but I prefer the
>> > definition that makes antipodes come only in opposed pairs (of points
on
>> > the surface of the earth connected by a straight line through its
center).

>>  From the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition the usage of antipodes
>> to mean Australia and New Zealand has an implied reference to the
>> western hemisphere.  Thus there is a pair, but one of them implicit
>> rather than explicit.
>
>Thanks Walt.
>Alas, another opportunity to joust with John evaporates ... :o)
>
>Shane ...

This thread reminds me of a discussion I had with my wife during an
automotive purchase outing. She was looking at the Lexus. I like them too.
So if we were both to acquire one, how would you describe it ??? As we all
know, "Lexus" is latin for really nice American-made Japanese car, so would
multiples be referred to as Lexipodes ??? Or Lexii ??? I was dealing with a
z/Os upgrade at the time and couldn't deal with the stress, so I got a
Pontiac. Which as we all know is American Indian for an American Indian.

It's time for this subliterate American's next dose of medication. The
joust is on whether Shane wants to play or not !!!!!