McKown, John wrote:

> Hum, I guess you could run Linux for zSeries on an PSI box legally. IBM
> does not have any say in that.

Well it's not clear. If I understand IBM's claims, they are asserting that
PSI boxes violate certain IBM patents during the execution of certain
instruction sequences (and they list a few almost as examples, suggesting
that there are many more). Such a box running Linux would presumably violate
at least some of the same patents.

> What would be interesting would be if a
> PSI box could also implement the old pre-XA architecture, thus allowing
> use of the public domain OSes from IBM (MVT, MVS 3.8j, OS/VS1, and the
> original VM/370).
>
> Of course, I don't know why anybody would want to do that.

For fun! But there are already emulators that can do that, so why would
anyone want to spend semi-serious bucks on a hobby box?

Tony H.