________________________________

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List on behalf of Eric N. Bielefeld
Sent: Sun 2/18/2007 9:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: License keys for ISV products(What alternatives are there?)

<snip>

This has been a very interesting discussion.  A few of the vendors have
givin very good reasons for having keys.  This comes at a time when I was
givin the task to renew our Syncsort keys.  I found that negotiating the
contract was part of the process, which is something I won't have to do,
fortuneatly for me.  When they get the contract process done, I'll just have
to install the keys.  By the way, does anyone know if Syncsort's key is a
hard fail key?  I suspect it is after a grace period.

<snip>

Eric,

SyncSort will give up to 60 days of warning messages before a contract expires
and 7 days afterwards.  These messages can be written to the joblog for each
sort and the system log twice a day.  These messages can be turn off during the
60 days prior the expiration of the control if the customer does not want to
see them but it is highly recommended that they do not do this.  It is not
possilbe to disable these messages during the 7 day grace period after the
license has expired.

If a CPU change occurs the sort will continue to execute for 45 days.  During
this period message will be produced warning the customer of the situation.
The customer having the ability to control whether the messages are produced or
not for all but the final 7 days.

We offer multiple ways for the customer to install and maintain their license
keys.  The recommended method is having the keys in a sequential data set.
This way modifications to the license keys can be as easy as updating a single
data set.  Using this method allows the update to be completed without any
reassembly/relink/reloading of any modules.  Nothing needs to be stopped or
restarted.  We have tried to make the process as easy as possible.

We provide 7x24 support and all analsyst can immediate help in a situation
where a customer has a non-functioning product.  I am responsible for customer
service and technical support.  If you are having difficutlies with our product
and are not satisfied with the response you are getting from Syncsort, please
contact me directly and I will see to it that whatever issue you are
experiencing will get resolved as quickly as possible.

John Reda
Software Services Manager
Syncsort Inc.
201-930-8260