Timothy -

Excellent points, and no one wants to hear us debate this ad nauseam. A few
thoughts:

- I'm not a z/OS.e expert. My point was that if you say it's z/OS.e, then
illegal products flat refuse to run. It's like a key in that way.

- I can see a real problem getting people to send us a report. Sounds
stupid, but getting anything out of a customer can be a problem, unless you
have real power of some sort (which IBM does). Heck, it can be a chore
getting a SYSOUT from a customer even when they are reporting a problem. I'm
serious. "This is a critical problem, it's killing us, you have to fix it
right away." "What was the exact message?" "Oh something about an error --
we already purged the SYSOUT."

- Charging by some business metric is the correct answer, except that it
won't work! Seriously, I agree with you that it would be the right way to
charge. I heard Scott McNealy talk one time about charging by corporate
headcount: pay us $50 (?) per month per body and you can have all of the Sun
software you want. It won't work for a small vendor. You can't change the
dominant paradigm. It's hard or impossible if you're big; it's certainly
impossible if you're small. If everyone is used to paying for software by
the MSU, they may bitch about it, but they want to pay some other way even
less. Often the "right" metric is some sort of business volume. For my file
transfer product, I wished we could charge by the kilobyte. The problem is,
any kind of "metering file" is as fraught with "trust" problems as a license
key file. You have to be authorized to cut SMF records -- is that right?
Requiring authorization is a sales obstacle.

- Sure, every software company would rather have sales reps than
distributors. Most small software companies are capital and
management-attention constrained. Overseas offices are VERY capital and
management-attention intensive. It's great to "require" the customers to
contact you, but if the distributor fails to mention that fact, you're right
back where you were. They have the customer's ear and speak his language;
you don't.

Charles