Charles,

I sure hope they don't start charging for software by headcount. Every time I see a headline about a company cutting thousands of workers, invariably they say that the stock went up. If software costs go down whenever you have a headcut, that will give management added incentives to cut workers. They might decide to cut us - then the stock would really go up - at least for a little while.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Lands End
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

- Charging by some business metric is the correct answer, except that it
won't work! Seriously, I agree with you that it would be the right way to
charge. I heard Scott McNealy talk one time about charging by corporate
headcount: pay us $50 (?) per month per body and you can have all of the Sun
software you want. >
Charles