>Of course, there are always wish list items, but why do you say ISPF out >of the bag isn't very productive?

Actually, I have the same question.
I have used ISPF since it was only one piece and called SPF.
It is very productive, even in vanilla.
But, you have to proficient in it.
If you've never seen it before, it doesn't matter what it does.

Yes, vanilla ISPF is way more productive than what came before it, but it is not as productive as it could be, which is the point I am trying to make. And I speak as an avid ISPF dialog developer, not as a casual user.

I once believed that ISPF pretty much represented the apex of programmer productivity. The editor is absolutely brilliant, and is, IMO, the gold standard for programmers' editors. So are the dialog services provided for developers who create their own ISPF applications.

My complaint is in regards to how the ISPF user interface works; the way the panels are organized, the way that functionality is fragmented etc.

I've been fortunate enough to have extensive exposure to two different mainframe products, both of which are, IMO, far superior to using regular ISPF panels. One is Spiffy, and the other is SimpList. Having used them both, I absolutely couldn't imagine going back to using regular ISPF panels. To me, it would be like taking a huge step backwards. Anyone who uses regular ISPF has my extreme sympathy; they're doing themselves a great injustice and have
absolutely no idea how much time or effort they're wasting.

So, if you've never seen SimpList or Spiffy before, check them out and see for yourself.