From: "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IBM sells lots of things, and I don't see any correlation between
sales figures and quality. The "everybody else has one" argument is
not an appropriate criterion for purchase decisions.

I don't see any correlation either. Who said "everybody else has one"? I don't know how many shops use Spiffy, but I'd guess it's the exception rather than the rule. Which is a shame, because I've used Spiffy and it makes ISPF a *much* more productive environment to work in.

> It's true that some people don't like change,

And some people that like change don't like gratuitous change that
makes their lives more difficult. Not all change is progress.

Agreed.

>and when they go to work one day and discover the ISPF interface is
>suddenly different (e.g. because Spiffy was installed), they
>immediately panic

Assuming that those who object to the behavior of your product are
Luddite's instead of carefully considering their concerns is not a
good way to maintain a product.

My product? When did Spiffy become my product?

>and try to get back to the old interface. It's a shame because if
>they stuck it  out a little while, they'd soon discover they could be
>*way* more  productive.

Perhaps. And perhaps they were more productive under vanilla ISPF. As
long as you blow off their complaints instead of analyzing them,
you'll never know. It's a shame, because you might be able to make
your product better if they actually listened to their users.

Once again; it's not my product. And if it was, I certainly wouldn't blow off peoples complaints about it.

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

RealLiveMoms: Share your experience with Real Live Moms just like you http://www.reallivemoms.ca/