On 3 Apr 2007 14:54:28 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gilmartin)
wrote:

>Ah, but it was easier to migrate from Studebaker to Rambler or
>Dodge than from z/OS to Windows.  In the most ruthless scenario,
>the vendor continues to serve an ever-dwindling captive customer
>base at ever-increasing unit prices, milking every last drop of
>revenue, until no price-point is profitable.

Does IBM want us to migrate from using z/OS for our programs and
Windows to display run the terminal programs to display our results --
to Windows machines?

I suspect instead, it wants us to have huge, secure, database machines
that are fast and use up less energy than Windows farms - and IBM
doesn't care how we choose to display the data on our desktops.   And
it would be quite content if we dropped z/OS, as long as we use its
hardware.

If we get to the stage where we don't care about the OS (just as Mac
users don't care about the CPU) - things will be easier for IBM. They
will control what's in the black (blue) box, and we concentrate more
and more on just the data.