Mark and co,

I've always been of the opinion that with the advent of Disk Arrays, DEFRAG
became useless. It has become one of the biggest waste of time and resources
that I come across in way too many shops.

For performance, DEFRAG is going to provide almost nil improvement for
sequential, and less for random where the volume you just spent all that
time reorganizing is spread across 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 spindles and sharing
those disks with 100s of other volumes.

I agree it can help with space allocation, but I can think of a dozen better
ways to mitigate space problems than by thrashing your channels and disk
drives for a couple of hours every day. It's a great way to trash your
remote copy links.

In the Windows world DEFRAG is a necessary evil because of the file
structures. Consolidating files can make drastic improvements in sequential
performance in FAT and NFTS. However, this does not apply to the z/OS world,
but the myth continues.

Ron