Mark,

Maybe it's a case of differing experience. The first time I came across
DEFRAG being used it was all about reducing seek on 3380, and I was
questioning the benefit of this on 3880-23 controllers.

The benefit of reducing seek with DEFRAG still crops up, even on this list.
I would bet that it is the performance improvement alluded to in some of the

Disk arrays did nothing for fragmented space, but they rendered obsolete any
SLED based performance techniques based on reducing seek - including DEFRAG.

Ron