On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:49:27 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>We are also finding one storage group that if we don't defrag, we SB37
everynight on 1000's of jobs.

>We are changing allocations to handle this, but the business is growing faster
than we can keep up.

>And, not all of our (ancient) applications can handle EXTEND datasets.
>
>So, it's defrag or die!

Let me guess.  That storage group has data sets of widely differing sizes,
causing it to become highly fragmented.the problem is probably compounded
by a large number of data sets that are directed to it, perhaps of a transient
nature.  And I'll bet that is allowed to get far too full.

Defrag is a poor solution to bad SMS design.

--
Tom Marchant