Can you PLEASE explain why there was/is support for a SHR->EXC
>Upgrade...
Pretty simple. The dataset is ENQed SHR because the highest DISP in the job for that dataset is SHR. But some function in a step may want to get EXC control so that it can update the dataset, thus the RET=CHNG function. For example if you issue a DYNALLOC for the dataset in a program with DISP=OLD I believe DYNALLOC will chnage the ENQ.

As far as a EXC-SHR function, this also seems obvious to me. The initiator ENQs the dataset, and then releases the dataset at the end of the last step that uses it. If you issue a EXC-SHR request, a fullowing step may need the dataset exclusive and you have now compromised the dataset. There is no easy way that I know to determine if the current step is the last step that uses the dataset.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR