on Fri, 25 May 2007 15:19:35 -0400, J R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Right, but maybe the intervening de-allocate was done without a DEQ.

That's what I believe.

>Besides, the message "IKJ56247I FILE SYSUT1 NOT FREED, IS NOT ALLOCATED" may
>not come to pass the way you think.  It says that the *ddname* is no longer
>allocated.  A better test might be via the command "free da('FOO.BAR')".

Good point.  I'll try it ...

>In any event, I believe the alloc and free commands are probably driven off
>the DSABQ; the first free removes the DSAB, the second one does not find it.
>  Whether the dataset remains allocated or, more to the point, enqueued, is
>another matter.

OK.  And I added Greg S's SLEEP.  During the sleep, when I attempt
to allocate from my TSO session, I get:

 MIM1088 CONTENTION WITH FREEDSN OWNS EXCL  ON LSTC3MVS
 MIM1089 YOU NEED SHR  SYSDSN   FOO.BAR
 IKJ56225I DATA SET FOO.BAR ALREADY IN USE, TRY LATER+
 IKJ56225I DATA SET IS ALLOCATED TO ANOTHER JOB OR USER

... DEQ is not happening.  It works as it should.  And SYSTSPRT
output for both steps says:

        free dataset('FOO.BAR')
    READY
        free dataset('FOO.BAR')
    IKJ56247I DATA SET FOO.BAR NOT FREED, IS NOT ALLOCATED

-- gil